The Spectral Geologist (TSG™)
For the mineralogical interpretation of VIS-NIR-SWIR-MIR-TIR reflectance spectra collected from rock samples, drill core, chips and powders
TSG digitally transforms geological samples into mineralogical information products.
TSG is the market-leading, industry standard software program for the interactive analysis, visualisation and mineralogical interpretation of VIS-NIR-SWIR-MIR-TIR hyperspectral reflectance data collected from geological samples.
TSG generates value-adding, multi-parameter characterisation results for “infrared-active” minerals in samples, to support the multi-disciplinary endeavours of geoscientists across the exploration-mining chain.
Qualitative and quantitative mineral results generated in TSG improve geologists’ logging, mapping and modelling efficiency, productivity and knowledge-base, leading to actionable insights and informed decision-making.
TSG works directly with hyperspectral data collected from drill core, chips and field samples acquired by:
- Compact and portable hand-held infrared spectrometers, including: Malvern Panalytical ASD’s TerraSpec® and Halo, Spectral Evolution’s oreXpress, the Agilent 4300 FTIR spectrometer and the ARCoptix FTIR spectrometers.
- HyLogger systems, the CSIRO-developed automated imaging and hyperspectral core logging systems, located in each Australian Geological Survey, commercially available for international deployment by Corescan Pty Ltd.
- Hyperspectral imaging systems: Corescan HCI3 data, one tray at a time given the large file sizes. Ideal for inspecting the spectra of targeted samples.
Spectral Geoscience Pty Ltd is a CSIRO authorised sales affiliate for TSG.
TSG’s subscription licensing system
- TSG’s subscription licensing system works with an online licence server.
- Access is available 24 hours a day anywhere in the world.
- Affordable and flexible time-block licence periods range from 1 week to 3 years.
- TSG can be up and running in minutes!
- Your TSG licence can be loaded on several computers and activated/deactivated as needed giving you mobility and flexibility to access TSG when and where it is needed. Only one installation can be active at a time.
- Upgrades released during your purchased time-block are automatically installed when internet access is available to check for updates.
- Educational discounts are available for verified university students.
- There are no annual maintenance fees, no software dongles and no delivery fees.
TSG Licence Period and Pricing
|Prices in Australian Dollars ($AUD)
(+10% GST for Australian purchases)
How To Proceed
- Register and download the free TSG Base (Viewer) or purchase TSG with Premium time here. Your web browser will open on TSG’s online store.
- After registration, the licence and activation codes and a download link for the software are emailed to you directly.
- After installation, open TSG, select Help, Licence, then ‘Activate’ the licence.
Subsequent licences can be purchased from within TSG (Help>Licence>Purchase time) or via purchase order.
If you have two licence codes, one for TSG with Premium time and one for TSG Viewer, you can use the ‘Switch’ button in the Licence window to switch between licences.
Download, install and explore TSG Base (Viewer) for FREE
- TSG software performs as a FREE Viewer until a time block licence is purchased.
- TSG reverts to the FREE Viewer after a time block licence expires.
- Subsequent TSG time block licences can be purchased.
- Share TSG results between colleagues with the TSG Viewer to enhance collaboration and communication.
- Contact Spectral Geoscience for a FREE demonstration dataset in TSG8 format.
We provide onsite and online training for:
1. Introduction to infrared mineral spectroscopy
2. Workflow methods and operational use of handheld infrared spectrometers for efficient hyperspectral core logging and field mapping.
3. How to use TSG to maximise the mineralogical information from your spectra, integrate with ancillary data and generate mineralogical products (maps and logs).
TSG is used by companies around the world including:
More about TSG™
Identifying the mineralogy in drill core, chips, soils and grab samples is a primary objective for successful mineral exploration, mine planning and development, geometallurgical flow sheet design and environmental-remediation practices. TSG supports geoscientists at each step in the exploration-mining value chain by providing rapid characterisation results of infrared-active mineralogy to generate actionable insights. Complimentary datasets such as assays, lithology logs and down-hole geophysical results, can be imported to evaluate the spatial relationships with the spectro-mineralogical results generated in TSG. TSG can process thousands of spectra on-the-fly and rapidly generate mineral information critical for the characterisation of the regolith, host rock and alteration associated with ore deposits. TSG is designed for the interactive analysis and visualisation of infrared spectra, mineralogical results, associated imagery and ancillary data. Users are provided with several analysis options for extracting mineral information from infrared spectra. These range from a first-pass automated interpretation using built-in algorithms to more sophisticated scalar-based tools for the experienced user.
TSG Version 8 contains:
- Algorithms for the automated interpretation of spectra (TSA+ for the SWIR and jCLST for the TIR).
- Improved spectral libraries.
- Enhancements to take full advantage of VNIR-SWIR+TIR data collected with HyLogger hyperspectral core logging systems.
TSG version 8 replaces all earlier versions (e.g. TSG Pro, Core, HotCore and Enterprise) and bundles the previously separated functionality into one powerful package, TSG 8. There is now only one ‘TSG’ and the free ‘ TSG Viewer’.
TSG8 includes NEW:
Results generated from TSG can include:
- Mineral identification
- Relative abundance
- Compositional changes within a mineral group (e.g. Al-Fe/Mg in white micas and Fe-Mg in chlorites).
Products generated can include:
- Down-hole, depth-registered logs of mineralogy and associated attributes (alpha and numeric formats).
- Scatter plots and histograms saved as JPG, PNG, EMF and TIF.
- CSV files exported for easy integration with third party software. Down-sampling optional (e.g. 2m composites).
- HyLogger imagery export of automatically configured and labelled core trays and mosaics of core trays per drill hole.
TSG Software Description and Hardware Requirements
TSG (The Spectral Geologist) is a menu and icon-driven, 32-bit Windows program written in C on the Win32 API. It runs on 32- and 64-bit x86 Windows, versions 7 to 10. Although TSG is a 32-bit program, it runs better on 64-bit Windows than 32-bit. Windows-XP is no longer supported.
Aside from a few system controls and dialogs that Windows displays in the host PC’s language, TSG’s interface is in English. However it has been installed and used on non-English Windows PCs including Spanish and Chinese.
TSG has no particular hardware or software requirements. It has been used on x86 Windows PCs ranging from small AMD field notebooks to multiprocessor i7 desktop PCs. TSG is threaded and will take advantage of multiple processors if present.
TSG communicates with a USA-based licence server https://secure.softwarekey.com over the internet on ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS). Although it is possible to set up and use TSG on an isolated PC, intermittent internet access (at least) is highly recommended.
The recommended minimum hardware requirements are:
1.0 GHz or higher CPU
512 MB or higher RAM
600 MB or higher of free disk space
Microsoft® Windows® 7 or higher
800 x 600 or higher graphics resolution 24-bit colour or better’.
TSG 8 is not backward compatible
TSG is a trademark of the Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).